Monday, February 23, 2009

Plans

Matt and I are in the process of filling out paperwork in order to become licensed to foster to adopt. This the the path that God has chosen for us to receive our baby. This is a desire that has been in my heart since I was a child. My mother remembers me telling her I adopted my baby dolls. I feel a lot of things about this process and I have been asked a lot of questions about why we are doing this. People have definitely brought up all of the risks we are taking. They are all good questions and good concerns. But at the end of the day when it is just God and I talking and I say "What if my heart breaks? What if it takes too long? What if my baby never comes? What if I am a bad parent? What if I am doing this for all of the wrong reasons? What if I am not ready?" He responds with peace and it washes over me and I remember that my God is not a god of devastation and if I follow Him he will honor that. We are fostering to adopt which means that the child that is placed with us will not be available for adoption immediately but we will act as foster parents and then if the child is unable to be reunified with their parents or family they would become available for adoption. This is a scary thought. The other night I was driving home thinking about all of this and the Holy Spirit spoke into my heart and said "This is the path to your child, and if along the way you get to love a child in crisis is that the worst thing that could happen." and I decided that would not be the worst thing that could happen and that I will trust Him because as the Good Book says....

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

AMEN!

2 comments:

Diana Latham said...

I love it, Rachel and Matt!!! You guys will be great parents. You are already a great Aunt and Uncle. I have talked to so many parents who have taken this path and they have spoken of what you are already aware....of the pain/heartache, but of how the journey has been so worth it. I feel like this is a fit and that you guys are meant for this journey. We look forward to hearing more news and seeing how God works. Love you guys.

Meador said...

very awesome! I did not know!!! I will be praying for ya'll. I know this will work out for you. Your child(ren) will be so blessed to have found you. .. just as we were. love you! buffy